A Colonial-era dispute over where one Vermont town ends and the neighboring town begins is about to be settled, once and for all.
Gov. Peter Shumlin will sign a bill today that establishes the boundary line between the towns of Shelburne and St. George.
The discrepancy dates to 1763, and came to light most recently in 2007 after a house was built on land that both towns thought was theirs.
An arbitrator ruled that each town would give up a small bit of land to the other and that the house would be considered part of St. George. But the Legislature – and now the governor – had to first sign off on a new survey of the land.