A jury has awarded two Corrections Department employees more than $100,000 for a workplace accident four years ago. Lynn Bushey and Marsha Rowell were exposed to life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide from a malfunctioning heating system in January 2000. Bushey found Rowell unconscious at her work station.
They sued the owner of the building and New England Air Systems, which designed and maintained the heating systems. Those two parties accepted responsibility, but couldn’t agree with Rowell and Bushey on how much compensation they were owed. On Friday, a Vermont Superior Court jury awarded $65,000 to Rowell and $35,000 to Bushey in compensation.