Residents warned to clear natural gas, propane vents

Print More

Burlington fire officials are warning homeowners to clear snow away from the vents of appliances using natural or propane gas.

Burlington assistant fire marshal Thomas Middleton says the city has already responded to at least eight reports of carbon monoxide backing up into homes because vents were blocked by the big snowstorm.

At least one person had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.

A lot of gas appliances have direct vents out of a building that don’t have to be very far off the ground. But the deepening snow can block those vents, allowing carbon monoxide to collect in the building.

City firefighters went door to door at the Northgate apartment complex in Burlington late in the evening checking with residents to make sure their vents were clear.

Comments are closed.