A New Hampshire woman diagnosed with a rare form of anthrax is showing some signs of improvement.
Health officials said Wednesday that the woman, who had been in critical condition with gastrointestinal anthrax, is no longer in intensive care.
Authorities still are investigating how she became sick but believe the most likely scenario is that she swallowed anthrax spores that became airborne during a drum circle she attended in Durham last month.
Two of the 64 animal skin drums used at the Dec. 4 event have tested positive for anthrax, as has an electrical outlet in the building. Fifty-two other drums tested negative, and the other 10 will be tested Thursday.