Health Department Offers Mold Cleanup Tips

Print More

The Vermont Health Department is offering homeowners who are cleaning up from Irene tips on how to get rid of mold.

The fungi travel through the air as tiny spores and can spread quickly in wet conditions. Health officials say it’s an allergen that can irritate the eyes, nose and throat and can cause serious reactions and respiratory problems for people who are allergic to it or have chronic conditions like asthma.

The Health Department says to dry all wet materials immediately and dispose of any moldy materials that can’t be cleaned – especially porous items such as wallboard, insulation, carpet and ceiling tiles.

Non-porous items made of wood, steel, plastic, ceramic, glass or concrete can be cleaned with detergent and water or a weak bleach solution.

Comments are closed.