The first governor’s debate of the fall election campaign takes place on Vermont Public Radio. The major party candidates, incumbent Peter Shumlin (D) and challenger
Randy Brock (R), meet in a 90-minute debate moderated by VPR’s Bob
Kinzel and Jane Lindholm.
Video Deep Links
Watch the full debate video or click the topics below to jump to that section of the video.
Bob Kinzel’s and Jane Lindholm’s questions to the candidates:
- Irene Recovery, FEMA, Waterbury State Offices, Contingency Planning
- Funding Single-Payer Health Care, Private Insurance Market, Health Care As A "Right"
- Education Progress, Low Test Scores, Local Control of Schools, Education Secretary
- Nuclear Power, Closing Vermont Yankee, Wind Power Moratorium
The candidates’ questions to each other:
- Brock to Shumlin: Renewable Energy Portfolio Benefits Producers, Not Ratepayers
- Shumlin to Brock: Vermont Yankee Senate Vote in 2010
- Shumlin to Brock: Same-Sex Marriage
- Brock to Shumlin: Campaign Donations From Marijuana Legalization Group
- Shumlin to Brock: Agreement, Reaction to Statements by Maine Governor Paul LePage
- Brock to Shumlin: Vermont’s Tax Reputation, Tax Commission Suggestions
- Shumlin to Brock: Telling Vermont’s Economic Story
Listeners’ questions to the candidates:
- Basing F-35s At The Burlington Airport
- Affordable Housing For Young People
- Poor Cell Phone Coverage
- Role Of Neighboring Towns In Approving Ridgeline Development
- Transparency At The Public Service Board
- Restructuring Taxes
- Health Insurance Pools For Small Businesses
- Doctors Leaving Vermont’s Uncertain Health Care System
- Child Care Subsidies For Working Families
- Why Should Independent Voters Support You?
(The winner of the Progressive Primary winner was still undecided at the time of the debate. Learn more here.)