Fire in Champlain Mill ruled accidental, reopening set for Monday

Print More

The mix of retail shops and offices in the Champlain Mill in Winooski are due to reopen today after cleanup from a fire in an area where workers were removing mercury.

The Thursday night fire stayed in a containment area where the work was done between the fourth and fifth floors, but the damage was estimated at $300,000.

Winooski Fire Chief David Bergeron said workers who had been cutting into the floor left the building about 5 p.m. Thursday. An unnoticed spark apparently started the fire, which set off sprinklers.

Bergeron said that wood floors contain encapsulated mercury. The mercury removal under way is “to protect the building for future use.”

Comments are closed.