One of the two people in Vermont infected with eastern equine encephalitis has died.
A Vermont Health Department spokesman told the Rutland Herald the man died Tuesday from the virus.
Like West Nile virus, Triple-E is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito.
People infected by the virus can develop two types of illness. One comes on suddenly, characterized by chills, fever, malaise, joint and muscle pain, and lasts one to two weeks.
The more severe illness affects the central nervous system and causes fever, headache, irritability, restlessness, drowsiness, convulsions and coma.
Officials say about one-third of people with severe Triple-E die from the disease.
State officials are planning for aerial pesticide spraying in Rutland and Addison counties to kill mosquitoes that may be carrying the virus.