The Vermont Department of Heath is advising anyone who lost power following the severe storm this week to take precautions to avoid eating food that may be unsafe.
Health officials say that even if food looks and smells okay it may have been outside a safe temperature range long enough to have become contaminated with dangerous bacteria.
They’ve stepped up inspections at Rutland area restaurants following this week’s power outage to make sure spoiled food isn’t served.
Health Department supervisor Al Burns says most restaurateurs were smart and shut down, leaving their establishments unheated during the outage.
He says outdoor temperatures were generally cold enough to prevent problems.