After Fire, Barton Store To Close For 6 Weeks

Print More

Authorities say a fire that severely damaged the Barton Village Corner Store will force it to close for up to six weeks.

The fire, which broke out early Wednesday, melted pipes and affected the plumbing, sewer, electric and phone systems in the building.

The fire struck in an area about 10 feet by 10 feet, but smoke, soot and fumes from the blaze filled the building.

And the lingering smell has forced owner Waheed Bhatti – who lives over the store with his family – to seek a new place to live, because his 4-year-old son has asthma and can’t be anywhere near the building.

He tells the Caledonian Record that nearly all his inventory will have to be thrown out because of the odor.

Comments are closed.